Friday, November 7, 2008

Life for my weary bones.

LISTENING TO: Violet Hill by Coldplay.

It is official.
History was made.
I am in utter awe of our country.
It is still a bit surreal.
Still sinking in.
Slowly.

We have so far to go....
My mother and I are not speaking because the truth finally came to an ugly head regarding her vote. She voted McCain.... with the mindset that "we" are "upper class" and it is "our money".
(Did she forget she is living in a motel 6, with no health insurance, receiving food stamps?)
I asked her on Wednesday if she watched Obama's speech after the election had been declared. I was shocked to hear the anger in her voice when she scoffed, "No, I don't want to talk about it... its just the way I was raised..."
WOW. The race card. My stomach churned as I wrestled with the thought that my mother would not support our future POTUS because of the color of his skin. I am sick now thinking about it. I thought we had moved past this. Sure there are people out there with this sad, sad mindset... but my mother? My very own mother. I am so ashamed. She blew up at me, claiming I have no understanding towards her. I sternly let her know I have understanding towards her, but I will not be tolerant or understanding of an ideal as awful as this. She might as well have said slavery was justified. She tried many excuses... she always does... I need to move on.... you get the picture. I am fuming at this point.

I will never forget November 4, 2008.
One of the most memorable days of my life.
I am so blessed to have been surrounded by my beautiful friends, huddled around a screen, where a humble man spoke life into my weary bones. Words of hope, strength, progression, and love filled the living room at Luke and Kerri's. Tears streamed down our faces as we knew we were a part of something monumental. I truly feel sad for those that are so focused on the loss of their candidate to have completely missed out on this once in a lifetime moment. I cannot wait to sit down with children of my own and tell them about the day equality and civil rights soared to a new level. I will never forget the feeling I had during the Primary caucus as I placed the call to enter my precint's votes for Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. I was overwhelmed with joy and knew I held a specific part in writing history. We all did. Congratulations, America, you have come a long, long way.

No comments: